North Canaan Elementary School Website
Town of North Canaan
North Canaan, located at the junctions of Route 44 and Route 7, covers 19.5 square miles. Population is estimated at 3,366. Incorporated in 1858, when it separated from the Town of Canaan (Falls Village), North Canaan is governed by a Board of Finance, Board of Selectmen and Town Meeting. Its principal industries are agriculture, manufacturing of medical instruments, lime stone products and electronic components, and the extraction of sand and stone. The Geer Corporation is a large nursing care facility that provides assisted and independent living and includes a YMCA pool and fitness center.
Of historic interest is the site of the Canaan Railroad Station where the East-West track from Hartford, CT to New York State crossed the North-South line from Danbury, CT to Pittsfield, MA. Completed in 1870, it was the oldest railroad station in continuous service in the United States. The railroad station was almost totally destroyed by a fire in November, 2001. Plans are under way for restoration.
In addition, hiking, swimming, fishing, and winter sports are just a few of the recreational options available to residents and visitors.